Management of Malnutrition in Children Under Five Years
Management of Micronutrient Deficiencies
Management of Vitamin A Deficiency (VAD)
- All patients with clinical signs of Vitamin A should be treated as early as possible.
- All patients with measles should be given 2 Vitamin A doses: 1 when diagnosed and 1 the next day.
- All patients with measles and eye complications or xerophtalmia should be given 2 Vitamin A doses one day apart plus a third dose two weeks later. Conjunctivitis should be treated with tetracycline eye ointment and mouth ulcers with gentian violet.
Age appropriate dose:
- 0-5 months: Vitamin A 50,000 IU per dose
- 6-12 months: Vitamin A 100,000 IU per dose
- 12+ months: Vitamin A 200,000 IU per dose
13 September, 2015